There has been some discussion about the quality of work in the Mechanical Turk marketplace so we wanted to provide some information on our Requester Participation Agreement (PA) and how we go about ensuring high quality work in the system. The Amazon Mechanical Turk PA outlines our terms of service for Requesters including the type of work considered invalid. When we find invalid work in the system, we work quickly to remove those HITs.
Some examples of invalid HITs include requests that:
- Require disclosure of the Worker's identity or e-mail address, either directly or indirectly
- Require registration at another website or group
- Directly or indirectly promote a site, service, or opinion
- Violate the terms and conditions of an activity or website (for instance asking Workers to vote for something)
- Have explicit or offensive content, for instance, nudity, but do not have the Adult Content Qualification
- Ask Workers to solicit third parties
- Generate "referred" site visits or click through traffic
- Ask workers to take action to manipulate a search engine's relationship data
- Violate copyrights
Reporting Invalid HITs
In addition to the measures we have in place to ensure quality work in the system, anybody using Amazon Mechanical Turk can also provide accurate, timely feedback on the HITs in the system. If you are a Worker or Requester and you identify a HIT that you think violates our PA, please report it and we will take appropriate action. To report an invalid HIT, select the “violates the Amazon Mechanical Turk policies” link at the bottom right of the HIT.
We monitor our marketplace closely and want you to know that we take quality very seriously and appreciate the time users take to report invalid work.
-- The Mechanical Turk Team